Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bridesmaid Bunco

I play Bunco with my girlfriends every month.  I never win.  I just give someone else my $10.  Yes, it does kinda make us feel like old ladies to be playing a dice game every month together, but who cares.  It's fun.  And it's nice to "get out."

Tonight was my turn to host so I decided I'd have a theme (Because you can't have a party without a theme, right?).  I decided to do "Bridesmaid Bunco" because you NEVER get to rewear that bridesmaid dress.  So luckily I finished my 30 remix so I could wear this dress (it's from the wedding of my best friend, Plaid).


Modeling our bridesmaid dresses (that's Fedora on the far right)

The dress didn't quite fit right (okay, it didn't fit at all!).  That bummed me out.  I had to wear a cardigan over it because I couldn't zip it up.  No one else had to wear a cardigan!!!  I tried to get Camouflage to help squeeze me in it but he said it wasn't going to happen.

I've decided that you never know how skinny you were until you aren't that skinny anymore.  Thank you, Princess Sparkles.  Thank you, Pigtails.  You've changed me in many ways.  But I still love you.




I made baked brie, teriyaki meatballs and a corn and bean salsa (similar to Cowboy Caviar).  Here's the recipe (it's super easy, and is always a hit at parties!).

CORN AND BEAN SALSA

Ingredients:
1 can of corn (drained)                          1/4 cup rice vinegar (can use white too)
1 can of black beans (drained)               1/4 cup sugar
1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)          1/2 lime
1/2 cup green onion (chopped)              1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)                     1 tsp chili powder
2 cloves of garlic (minced)                     1 tsp cumin
                                                            salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Drain and rinse corn, black beans and tomatoes.  Toss together in a medium size bowl.  Add green onion, cilantro and garlic.  Mix in vinegar and sugar.  Squeeze in half a lime.  Then season with paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  Let sit for at least an hour in the fridge.  Serve with tortilla chips.

16 comments:

Miri said...

Love all the bridesmaid dresses *lol

Claire said...

such a good idea! ive never heard of Brunco!

Tiffany said...

lol I had to laugh at you thanking the girls for your new body. =) Isn't it that the truth?!?

I'm seeing dips all over the place today! I'm going to have the hardest time deciding which one to eat first.

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

gorgeous dresses!! :) and yummy treats!

mro said...

I think you look great though. You were probably just too skinny before. =) You look fantastic!

Courtney Erin said...

Love the photo - and you would never know the dress didn't fit from looking at it...I pulled a dress out of my closet yesterday that I bought about 4 years and was astonished and sad to realize that I could barely get it over my hips - then I thought about how funny I must look trying to wriggle into it and just had to laugh.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Khlaren said...

This looks fun! :) You still look pretty even though your dress didn't fit like before! :) :)

Kimberlee said...

Too funny. What a great idea for a party. And you did much better than I could. A cardigan wouldn't even save me. Honest. I probably couldn't get a single bridesmaid dress over my mama hips.

Sarah said...

this is such an awesome idea for a party to wear old bridesmaids dresses! you all look great in them too! xxx

GretchTM said...

What a lovely theme idea! You all look so adorable in your dresses. Teriyaki meatballs sound yummy!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

I totally live for my monthly bunko night. ;) Now I want to suggest your bridesmaid idea! How FUN! :)

Anonymous said...

Great theme I have yet to reuse my bridesmaids dress...lol I'm borrowing that recipe too and will let you know when I use it. Sounds yummy!

Analisa said...

This is such a cute idea for a party! :)

Tara said...

I love Bunco, and a bridesmaid themed night is hilarious! I totally want to have one at my house, now :)

Kimberly said...

Um, jealous! I want an excuse to wear my dresses again too. :) Glad you all had fun! And thanks for the dip recipe. Always looking for new sides ideas.

Document Management System said...

I would have enjoyed it more, if another language into English. one of my friendknew the language than written in this blog ET told me and I liked it. nicely writtenanyways.
Indexing Document | Document Management Version Control | Records Management Software