Sunday, March 27, 2011

How to NOT Plan Your Life...


WHAT I WORE TO CHURCH TODAY:
#13 - NASHVILLE
CHAMBRAY BUTTON-UP SHIRT - American Eagle
BLACK PENCIL SKIRT - Jonathan Saunders for Target
BELT - Maria's Fashion
BLACK MOTORCYCLE BOOTS - BCBGeneration
 Yesterday I participated on a panel for a Young Leader's Conference held by my church entitled, "God in the Workplace."  To be honest, I really didn't want to do it.  I felt like I had very little to offer... I mean, I don't even have a job!!!  And it's not like I had this super sucessful writing career.  (If you're wondering, I worked on a couple different TV shows, mostly as a Producer's Assistant, had gotten a Disney writing fellowship and had some momentum as a writer when I committed career suicide...I got pregnant!).

Anyway, I emailed the people who asked me to speak on the panel and told them I didn't think I was the right choice.  Then a friend called me and told me why they had chosen me.  She began to tell me how people were inspired by a short film I had written and how they appreciated my heart.  I was so moved by what she said.


WHAT I WORE TO THE PANEL:
#14 - AMSTERDAM
GRAY MOTO JACKET - H&M
OLIVE DRESS - The Gap
BLACK LEGGINGS - Old Navy
OPEN TOE BOOTS - Charlotte Russe
SCARF - Made by my Mom


My life hasn't exactly turned out the way I planned.  There have been times I've been terribly disappointed.  I've had to learn to be flexible and accept that a change in plans does not equal failure.  If I had things my way, I probably wouldn't have "planned" to be a mommy yet.  But I'm so glad I am (although sometimes I question when they wake me up at night, make a mess of things I just cleaned up and complain about the food I made :)

I ended up talking a lot at the panel.  I was surprised how much I did have to offer.  And at the end when people were asking questions, I was one of the people they addressed.  It felt good to share some of my experiences.  Hopefully someone got something useful from what I said.  And if not, hope I wasn't boring :)  Just glad I did it.  Everyone was so nice and I even got a way cool, totally unexpected gift...




8 comments:

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

Nice!! I hope you remember that you always have a lot to contribute! That's great that you had such a good experience from it. Love the outfit eye candy along the way!

Marella said...

Amazing outfits! >3

Sisters and Sisters said...

Amazing dress!

That's very awkward:(, but it's great we are following you back:)!

XoXo
H&C from Amsterdam
www.sistersandsisters.com

Impulsive Addict said...

Lovin' your outfit choices!

I'm glad you decided to do it! GOOD FOR YOU!

Kimberly said...

second outfit is amazing! thanks for the comment!

http://kc-citystyle.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

Oooh, that little wristlet is adorable!

You look fantastic, I think you did great choosing an outfit for this.

I'm positive that you had much more to offer than you realized and probably inspired and encouraged many more people than you realize. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

GretchTM said...

I love your outfits, especially the last one. It's amazing how we can surprise ourselves. Glad it worked out well for you. :)

Rama Wood Crafts Private Limited said...

Hi i was reading your post, it was such a awesome one specially the snaps well at the end just wanna say nice post thanks. Office Furnitures | Office Furniture Manufacturer