Thursday, May 26, 2011

3 Ways to Wear a Poncho and Artichoke Rice Salad Recipe

STRIPED PONCHO - Cejon Accessories (Thrifted)
FLARED JEANS - J Brand
WHITE TANK TOP - Old Navy
STRETCH BELT - gifted from White Elephant exchange
NAVY/RED/PINK HEELS - Charlotte Russe


Thursday is always trash day in our neighborhood and one of Princess Sparkles' favorite things is to wave at the garbage man and watch him dump our bins into the back of his truck.  She even told me, "I want to be a garbage man when I grow up." 

I decided to wear my thrifted poncho today since it's "Thursdays Are for Thrifters" over at Spunky Chateau.  I saw the colors and the fringe on this and knew I had to have it.  I wasn't exactly sure how I'm supposed to wear it, so I tried it a few different ways.  The only bad thing about this is it's not easy to clean.  I hand washed it and so much red dye came out that I probably could've dyed an entire dress with the leftover water!

I love going thrifting.  Not only is it an inexpensive way to get my shopping fix, but you can actually get some really unique pieces!  And although someone else might consider an item of clothing "trash," to you it could be the best thing ever!

*** DISCOUNTS:  GAP has 40% off everything in store for Memorial Day weekend.  Nordstrom's semi-annual sale for women and kids is going on now.


I also wanted to share a recipe.  I made a quick and easy one dish dinner that looks fancy but is so simple! 
ARTICHOKE RICE SALAD

INGREDIENTS:

1-16oz can of marinated artichoke hearts (save liquid)
1 lemon (medium size, juiced)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

3 cups cooked white rice (I use calrose/japanese short grain)
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (you can use fresh tomatoes too but seed them)
1 cup green onion, chopped (or red onion if you like it strong)
1-6oz can of black olives (I mixed with green spanish olives too)
1-7oz can of tuna, drained (or you can replace with chicken if you don't like tuna)
1/4 cup nuts (I used slivered almonds which I roasted, but you can also use pine nuts)

DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl mix together artichoke liquid, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.  Add in the remaining ingredients and gently mix.  Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature, then cover and chill in refrigerator until serving.

23 comments:

Lena said...

I had no idea there even were three ways to wear a poncho! Looking hawt, as always.

Amber Lena Fashion Bargainista.com
outfits FOR SALE from $10!

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

I love that poncho especially in the seconfd picture and the belt is amazing!!!
First Giveaway on my blog!!!
xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com

D said...

That poncho/scarf is definitely a winner! Great color on you. Most strong colors seem to run forever and by the time they don't run, they have faded. Princess Sparkles, a garbage mogul-- hard to imagine...

Jenny M. said...

thanks for the recipe! I will try it! :) this colourful poncho is impressive...It makes you feel optimistic,only by having a look at those bright colours!!!

http://personalstylestoriesbyjennym.blogspot.com

my thrifty closet said...

the poncho is so versatile and fabulous, I love the colors. Clever! The rice salad looks like chinese fried rice...yummy!

love~mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

The Fashion Writress said...

You rock this outfit so well dear :) Perfect!
x

AlbeeLucky said...

Great find on the poncho. You totally scored and I love the striped colors. I was thinking about belting one and I like how you spun yours around in the first photo. Clever you :)
xx-AlbeeLucky.blogspot.com

Courtney Erin said...

Wow, I love your three ways to wear it - especially the scarf idea! you make it so versatile.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Ellie said...

Loving the different ways you styled this!
Thank you so much for your comment, I searched for those wedges endlessly, and I actually picked up the colored ones as well :)
Have a great weekend!
-Ellie

Anonymous said...

The outfit is stylish and comfy.
The artichoke rice salad is delightful and delicious!
Wow, I don't know what to say. ;D

Love Joice said...

Just want to say thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! ^_^
xx Joice

Bonnie said...

These are the best ways ever to wear a poncho. I had no idea they could be so versatile. I have never been a fan of ponchos, but it looks super cute on you, so it makes me think that I should try one out.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Debbie Baker Burns said...

Sounds delicious! I had never thought of wearing a poncho as a scarf...good idea. I hadn't tried belting one either, another good idea. Are you writing all these cute sayings down? They are great! Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.blogspot.com

mro said...

YUM! that salad look tasty! I'm definitely going to have to restrain myself from shopping too much this weekend.....with 40% off deals, it's hard to resist!!!

Meagan said...

That poncho is insane. Love it! and love all the ways you styled it!
-Meagan
http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

Shea Lennon said...

That salad looks good, and it's so pretty too! That's hilarious that your daughter wants to be a garbage man, I was cracking up :) And that poncho looks awesome--I love how you styled it as scarf!

Oh my Dior! said...

your poncho is really beautiful i like how you are wearing it!

http://www.ohmydior.org/

Mama Kara said...

LOVE the poncho!!!

Shelly said...

So jealous of your poncho...

xoShelly
www.gslillian.com

Tara said...

Wearing the poncho as a scarf is kind of genius, Claire :)

Hayley said...

ummmm yumm!!!!! trhis looks amazing!!!!

http://hayleyhour.blogspot.com/

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

so cute, the poncho and the shoes are made for each other :)
the salad sounds yummy!

Document Management System said...

your internet site page’s notion will be exceptional and also adoring that. The accounts are usually outstanding. Be sure you keep on this kind of fantastic perform. Many thanks!
document management version control | indexing document | records management software